Friday, March 2, 2012

CD Review: Fun. - Some Nights (2012)

         It serves right that one of the biggest releases music wise of 2012 would be my first music review in the review of Indie Pop band Fun.'s second studio album "Some Nights".
         The band took the country by storm with the lead single "We are Young" that has found tremendous popularity from radio play and being covered by Glee on an episode this past season. Usually I am critical of anything that Glee does but I appreciate that they helped this song reach a wider audience as it is a really good song that fans of different types of music can agree is a good listen.
           The difference between this album and previous works of Fun. is that they sort of abandon their original sound to go for a more mainstream sound which I understand as it is a lot harder to make it in music with struggling CD's sales and the rise of digital downloading.
            The highlights of this album result in the songs such as "Some Nights" that mixes different types of instruments to give it an authentic sound. The song is also precluded by the "Some Nights Intro" which is also an incredible track and is good enough that it could have stood out on its own without the intro tag. My favorite song off of the album would have to be "All Alright" which is a tragic but uplifting the song that showcases the band at its best on this CD. One thing I have to make sure I praise about this CD is the lead singer Nate Reuss who has one of the best voices I have heard from a lead singer in a long time. He is able to make even the most bland songs on this album sound bearable.
              The only complaint I would have with this CD as a whole is that near the second half of the CD, the songs on the album all start to sound the same and most listeners will get bored. I was expecting more songs like "Some Nights" that tried something different from most bands, but they decided to play it safe and kept the same sound for the rest of the album.
               This is an album I recommend to listen as it is a lot different from the generic bands out there today, but I wish the album would have been more experimental that it seemed to promise at the beginning. In the end I recommend this album to fans of bands such as Panic! at the Disco, Fall out Boy, or anyone who enjoys Pop Rock.

Final Grade: B+

Standout Songs: "Some Nights", "We are Young", and "All Alright"

This is a highlight of how great this singer can sing live.

    
If you just want to hear the radio version hear it is.


No comments:

Post a Comment